Student Attendance Review Board (SARB)
Mrs. Valarie Howard
Mrs. Pam Havens; Probation Officer
(760)955-3200 x 10290
Parents are responsible for a child's attendance from the age of 6 until the age of 18.
- Three (3) – Unexcused Absences:
Classified as a Truant (reported to attendance administrator). Letter 1 sent by mail with a copy forwarded to the District Attorney.
- Six (6) – Unexcused Absences:
(reported to attendance administrator). Letter 2 sent by mail. School site will attempt to contact parent/guardian to schedule meeting with school administration to review truancy problem to avoid further measures.
- Nine (9) – Unexcused Absences:
Letter 3 sent by mail. Student classified as habitual truant and subject to summons to appear at the Student Attendance Review Board (SARB).
The parent is given notice of hearing by mail for the scheduled hearing to meet with SARB to consider a proper plan for correcting problems with attendance. Notices for SARB are sent by mail 10 days in advance to address on file. The parent and student will be asked to sign an attendance contract. Failure to comply with the contract will result in the order of a citation to appear in court.
To avoid receiving penalties please make sure that the student attends all classes daily and on time. Inform the school when the student is out for valid medical reasons by phone or written note. You may also contact the schools Attendance Department on a regular basis to make sure there are no attednance issues you may have missed.
More info on SARB Hearings Click Here
More info on SARB Hearings in Spanish/Español Click Here
TRUANCIES AND UNEXECUSED ABSENCES
Reasons NOT acceptable for being absent from school are considered truancies or unexcused absences.
Truancy occurs if a student is absent for any of the following:
- Going to work with parent or other person.
- Trip out of town, or outing somewhere (non bereavement purposes).
- Personal “feminine” problems.
- Too tired or sleepy to go to school.
- Personal problems.
- Refused to go to school.
- Woke up late.
- Waiting for service or repair people to arrive.
- Bus not available or missing bus.
- Baby-sitting, taking care of other family members.
- Participating in a student demonstration off campus.
- Leaving school ground s without authorization.
- Forgot to call the school, or turn in the note.
- Any reason not included in the “Excuses Absences” portion of this pamphlet.